Oxburgh is a most attractive romantic
fortified moated manor house built in the 15th century.
Sir Edmund Bedingfeld had to obtain permission from
Edward IV to embattle and crenellate (a tower with
battlements or loopholes) his walls and towers. Though
by the 15th century this was more a status symbol than a
necessary fortification requirement.
Oxburgh has been the home of the Bedingfields since the
early 15th century. Bedingfields were one of the few
families who refused to give up the Old Faith at the
Reformation and as such suffered persecution during much
of the 16th and 17th centuries. Being Catholics the
Bedingfields, were not allowed to hold public office
until 1829 when the Catholic Emancipation Act came into
being. The house was given to the National Trust in
Rooms that are open to the public are The Saloon with
its neo-classical decoration; the old Drawring Room; the
West Staircase Hall which was installed in the late 17th
century; the Library; the Small Dining Room; the North
Staircase; the North Room; the Boudoir; the Kings
Room so called as Henry VII lodged here in 1487; the
Gatehouse Stairway; the Queen Room, called after
Elizabeth of York; the Roof and the Armoury.
Mary Queen of Scots also stayed here as a prisoner.
Outside there is a lovely French Parterre garden as well
as a Wilderness Walk, which was planted in the 19th
century. Refreshments are available in the
National Trust tearooms.