One of the buildings in Tombland, Norwich is framed by two large
white statues of Samson and Hercules. The Samson
and Hercules mansion was originally erected by the mayor
of Norwich Christopher Jay in 1657.
The original statues which were made of
timber, were removed when Samson lost an arm and these
white replica statues were installed. This
building once housed a large swimming pool, then a dance
floor was installed over the pool and the place became a
ballroom in 1939 which proved popular with the troops
stationed in Norwich.
At the moment the fate of the building is currently under review and it is possible that it may be turned into luxury flats. Earlier records show that this area used to house one of the largest plague pits in the city and contained the remains of around five thousand dead plague victims.
Current photographs on the left with an older photograph of the original statues, kindly supplied by the Plunketts photographs of Old Norwich.