There is a bus service that runs to the larger seaside resorts of Great Yarmouth and Cromer. At the inland market town of North Walsham there is a train service that runs all the way down to Norwich and then onto London and beyond.
Bacton Wood with it picnic area is situated between the village of Bacton and North Walsham and is owned by the Forestry Commission. The woods have way marked walks and events take place throughout the year such as treasure trails for the children and tutorial on outdoor survival skills.
There are no end of potential walks in Norfolk some concentrating on particular interests such as architecture or history. Close to Bacton is the Paston Way, which takes its name from the Paston Family who adopted their name from the small village on the north east coast of Norfolk. This family became dominant landowners here during the Medieval and Tudor periods.
The Paston Way takes in sixteen churches and sixteen villages and towns, and links up with 'Quiet Lanes'. The idea behind these is to enhance and protect the countryside character whilst making country lanes more attractive and better for walkers cyclists and horse rider. They provide links to the public footpath and bridleway networks.
The Paston Way links up to the Weavers Way at Cromer and North Walsham. The Weavers Way LDP (long distance path) runs for 92km 57 miles from Cromer to Great Yarmouth. The name comes from the ancient weaving industry that was centred around Aylsham, North Walsham, Stalham and Worstead.
Scenically the route is well varied
with the rich farmland and the woodland of North Norfolk
contrasting with the grazing marshes of the Norfolk
Broads to the south. The National Trust properties of Fellbrigg and
are en route and from Aylsham to Stalham, the trackbed
of the former Great Yarmouth to Kings Lynn railway line
During the middle ages Bromholm Priory reputedly had in its possession a piece of the true cross. This relic from Calgary was purported to cure various troublesome ailments from leprosy to death, hence the mention in Chaucer.
It was in 1223 when a desperate monk with his two children knocked on the door of Bromholm. He convinced the Prior that he had a relic of the true cross and would give the relic to Bromholm in exchange for a place at Bromholm. From that day on Bromholm became rich and famous as a place of pilgrimage and was even visited by Henry IIII in 1233.
The relic was recorded as having raised 39 people from the dead and cured 19 of blindness. However, after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1535 the relic was lost and Bromholm fell into decay. Today remnants of the church buildings can be seen in a private field and there is an interesting gateway not far from the coast road.
A few miles away from Bacton is East Ruston
gardens an 18-acre colourful garden in the grounds
of the Old Vicarage.