|OS Grid: TF 770430||Approx 2.4m 3.8km From the Coast View Google Map|
|Latitude: 52° 57' 17"|
|Longitude:0° 38' 07"|
|Latitude: 52.954||Select another Norfolk Location:|
Romans gave the name Branodunum to this coastal village and built a fort here, which they in turn called "Branoduni Castra". The forts purpose was to protect the north coast against marauding Frankish and Saxon pirates, though some claim it was to scare the Druids who were located at Holme-next-theSea. Unfortunately, nothing now remains of this stronghold except some ditches to the east of the village and a street named after the ancient village Branodunum.
In the village is a hostelry which dates from circa 1747 and on whose white washed external walls there is a hundred year old replica of a man-o-war, reminiscent of vessels that sailed these waters during Nelsons day and goes by the name of Black Diamond.
There is always good fish and shellfish
to be had on the Norfolkcoast and in this location there
is a roadside shed which sells crabs, lobsters, shrimps
and mussels along with locally caught fish.
For those wishing to sail try nearby
Brancaster Staithe. Other attractions include golf at
The Royal West Norfolk Golf Course, or on the beach,
windsurfing and para surfing. For a larger range of
shops visit Burnham Market just four miles inland. The
busier seaside resort of Hunstanton is under seven miles
further round the coastal road with its livelier seaside