Langham is a Norfolk village with a strong sense of
community where locals sit swapping yarns in the village
Every other year a traditional Olde English Fayre was
held in this small village complete with stilt walkers,
jugglers and a band. Gaily coloured stalls selling
anything and everything lined the entire high street.
The fayre no longer runs, which is a real pitty.
The welcoming Bluebell Inn whose history extends back
over four hundred years, can be found in the main high
street, the publicans adopt the moto 'There's no such
thing as a stranger - just a friend we've never met'.
During the Second World War there were over two thousand
service personnel stationed at Langham and the inn
contains lots of mementoes from that time.
Langham's high street is lined with
traditional Norfolk cobbled cottages, though the village
has no shop so for the shopping experience visit the
lovely Georgian town of Holt, seven miles inland. The
popular coastal villages of Morston and Blakeney with
their regular boat trips to see the colony of four
hundred common and grey seals, both places are less than
two miles away.
The famous Langham Glass attraction was once located in
the village but it moved in 2006 to a new location in
Down the road is Stiffkey which clings
to a ledge above the river of the same name, Stiffkey
Marsh a continuation of Morston Marshes contain some of
the oldest saltmarsh along this historic
In the churchyard at
Langham is buried Frederick
Marryat (1792-1848). He was an English naval officer
turned novelist who settled in Langham Norfolk in 1848.
One of his novels was The children of the New Forest
published in 1847. This was a historical novel set in
the times of Cromwell and Civil War. Another of his
works was The Little Savages published in 1848 about a
young boy and cruel sailor on a deserted island.
It is said that a wife
and her husband who were
visiting the old Airfield at Langham stopped off in the
church. Whilst there the wife came face to face with a
ghost of an Airman.