Holkham Hall - Holkham - Norfolk
Holkham Hall, a large stately home occupied by seven generations of the Earls of Leicester, the park is open to visitors every day.
It is a large Palladian
palace built in 1734-1762 using designs by William Kent
and the owner of Holkham himself. In the grounds roam a
large herd of fallow deer against the backdrop of the
house which is faced with sand coloured brick made on
the estate itself. Rooms that are open to the public
include the Marble Hall, State Rooms and the Old
Kitchen. There is a fine collection of Greek and Roman
statues as well as some excellent paintings.
The grounds are extensive over 3,000 acres and the estate hosts various events throughout the year. The lake is over a mile long, visited by many species of wildfowl. Also on the estate is the Bygones Museum, Stables café and Gift Shop and the large cobbled stone church of St. Withburga which is on the opposite side of the lake.
Part of the Earl of Leicester’s estate includes Holkham National Nature Reserve, the biggest nature reserve in England incorporating extensive salt marshes backed by Corsican pines and grazing marshes.
The 10 mile stretch of Holkham sands known as the Holkham Meals are a popular place for the family with extensive golden sands on which at low tide a number of pretty shells can be found.
Year round bird watchers congregate to admire the huge flocks of winter migrating birds.