A visitors guide to Bircham and Great
Bircham located in the West of Norfolk approximately seven miles from the
coast. With uninterrupted views of rolling hills that are punctuated
by a single landmark, the white sails of Great Bircham windmill. The
windmill is fully restored and is now a tourist attraction, with tea
rooms, bakery and cycle hire.
Inland by some ten miles is the market town of Fakenham
or for a visit to a busy seaside resort try Hunstanton
a pleasing Victorian seaside resort with a long promenade and all the
facilities and shops one might need. Here you will find firm sandy beaches
and numerous rock pools and dramatic striped cliffs, best seen at the
northern end of the Promenade where the 1830 lighthouse stands beside the
ruins of St. Edmunds Chapel.
For a meal out try The Kings Head Hotel at Bircham, that cater for a
family meal, an intimate dinner or just afternoon tea and cakes.
Houghton Hall built for Nelson's great, great uncle Sir Robert
Walpole, the first Prime Minister of Great Britain, who bequeathed 10
Downing Street to the nation is not far away, and open to the
Down the road is the Royal Estate of Sandringham
purchased by Queen Victoria in 1861 for Edward VII as he didn't like
Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. The Queen and other members of the
Royal family are often in residence, particularly at Christmas. The
estate and surrounding country park consists of 7000 acres. The original
Georgian house was pulled down and replaced by a new building in the
Jacobean style to which a lavish turreted ballroom and rooms for bowls and
billiards were later attached. The Royal family has set many trends
at Sandringham. In 1900, King Edward VII, was the first British monarch to
own and drive a motor car here, and in 1932 King George V made the first
radio broadcast, live from Sandringham.