Romans gave the name Branodunum to this coastal village and built a fort here, which they in turn called "Branoduni Castra". The forts purpose was to protect the north coast against marauding Frankish and Saxon pirates, though some claim it was to scare the Druids who were located at Holme-next-theSea. Unfortunately, nothing now remains of this stronghold except some ditches to the east of the village and a street named after the ancient village Branodunum.
In the village is a hostelry which dates from circa 1747 and on whose white washed external walls there is a hundred year old replica of a man-o-war, reminiscent of vessels that sailed these waters during Nelsons day and goes by the name of Black Diamond.
There is always good fish and shellfish to be
had on the Norfolkcoast and in this location there is a roadside shed
which sells crabs, lobsters, shrimps and mussels along with locally caught
This is a good area for nature lovers and bird watchers with reserves at nearby Titchwell, Holme and slightly further a field at Snettisham.
Home Other Norfolk Towns and Villages