The village has a wide green overlooked by
brick and flint Georgian houses. In the church there is a marble bust
of the hero above his father's tomb. The church was restored in Nelson's
honour in the 19th century and a cross in the chancel arch and a lectern
are both made from timbers taken from HMS Victory.
Horatio Nelson used to frequent the local pub, that in his day was known as The Plough, which is now known as The Lord Nelson. Nelson actually gave a dinner to the young men of the village here before he left to take up his command of the Agamemnon. Two years after Nelsonís death the inn changed its name to the Lord Nelson. The pub/inn is full of Nelson memorabilia and interesting oldie worldly rooms and in winter has roaring log fires.
Nearby Burnham Market has an attractive range of unusual shops gathered around its village green, along with cafes and restaurants. Inland is the village of North Creake where on its outskirts are to be found the remains of Creake Abbey, founded in about 1206, by Sir Robert de Narford. Originally an almshouse for the poor in 1231 it was given the status of an Abbey of the Augustinian.
Heading towards the coast you will find Burnham Overy Staithe a small coastal village with salt marshes and channels out to the sea, well known for its sailing and bird watching pursuits.
Holkham Hall around 5 miles away has been home to the Earls of Leicester for over two hundred and fifty years. The house is set in a Deer park with a scenic lake. Also attached to the estate are miles of unspoilt beach and woodland. The hall is open to visitors from the end of May until the end of September. There is also a Bygones Museum, a Pottery and Cafe and Nursery Gardens.
Home Other Norfolk Towns and Villages