The Village of Felbrigg in Norfolk

Felbrigg Norfolk Holidays

A visitors guide to the village of Felbrigg, located just two miles inland from the North Norfolk Coast.  Felbrigg's prominence on the map is guaranteed by its historic 17th century Hall. The current Hall is now in the hands of the National Trust having been left to them by its last owner  R. Wyndham Ketton-Cremer who died in 1969, known hereabouts as "the Squire". 

The Hall is surrounded by 520 acres of woodland and pastures grazed by cattle and crossed by the long distance path the Weavers Way. There is an imposing Georgian Drawing Room and Gothic-style library and a decorative and productive walled garden and a Victorian pleasure garden.

On the estate is the church of St. Margaret which dates from the 15th century. It's isolated position explained by tales that the entire village relocated to its present site, some distance away, after the Black Death. Inside the church you will find one of the earliest portraits of a local resident a brass of Sir Symon de Felbrigg and his first wife Lady Margaret, daughter of the Duke of Teschen and cousin to Richard II first wife Queen Anne.  Sir Symon was the standard bearer to King Richard II and it was he that built the first hall on this site back in the 14th century.

At nearby Roughton the mathematician and physicist Albert Einstein stayed in a cottage during the 1930s, after he left Germany in the wake of Adolf Hitler's rise to power.

One of the closest inn/pub is Roman Camp Inn, that has an all day restaurant for fine food and a bar that has served real local ale since 1894.

Two miles away on the coast you will find the Edwardian seaside town of Cromer famous for its succulent Cromer Crabs and August carnival amongst other things. It has long sandy beaches, landscaped cliff-top gardens, Edwardian style promenades, a boating lake, a mini-funfair, putting greens, bowling green, pitch and put and of course great fish and chip shops.  This is all complimented by a good range of shops and a super market.

Another National Trust property can be found closeby in the village of Upper Sheringham - Sheringham Park with its extensive parkland and woods with fine sea views.  Hundreds of rhododendrons and azalea bushes flower spectacularly each spring and attract visitors from both far and wide.  The estate originally belonged to Abbot and Charlotte Upcher who in 1811 purchased the estate.  They then went on to commission Humphrey Repton to design a hall and a park. At that time Repton was the foremost landscape designer in the country.  The small village, benefited considerably from the benevolence of the Upchers, who helped fund a school both in Upper Sheringham and also in Lower Sheringham, amongst other good deeds.
For Norfolk or Suffolk B&B - Click the Bed and Breakfast Accommodations Link.s. In August 1892 Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) rented a farmhouse in the village of Felbrigg where he was told by his doctor to imbibe the pure Norfolk air. It was here that he worked on his play ‘A Woman of no Importance’ in 1893.

Home   Other Norfolk Towns and Villages