The Village of Great Walsingham in Norfolk
A visitors guide to the village of Great
Walsingham in Norfolk located under seven miles from the North Norfolk
Coast. One would assume that with the term 'Great' included in a name that
Great Walsingham would be bigger than its sister Little Walsingham,
however this is not the case. Great Walsingham is significantly
smaller and quieter than its neighbour
, which is where the Anglican and Roman Catholic
shrines are located.
Great Walsingham village sits in the vale of the river Stiffkey and
contains a handful of handsome houses, some with impressive timber frames
and others fine Georgian facades. One building of particular note is
the manor house Berry Hall a private residence which dates from the 16th
century complete with a Saxon moat.
It is worth visiting the pretty 14th century church of St. Peters, set on
a hill overlooking the valley. Inside the church’s tower are three bells
made in Kings Lynn between 1330 and 1350.There are also particularly ugly
gargoyles, and its worth risking neck ache to see them. The pews within
the church have decorative ends featuring strange animals, apostles and
angels. There are reference to the Black Death of 1348 contained
within the church, when it is said the entire village of Great Walsingham
upped sticks and moved across the ford.
The seaside resort of Wells-next-the-sea
is four miles away and for provisions, inns and restaurants Little
Walsingham is under 1/2 a mile away. You can catch The Walsingham to Wells
Light Railway at Little Walsingham for a trip to the seaside, onboard the
longest 10¼" narrow gauge steam railway in the world.
The nearby village of Thursford is home to the 'Thursford Collection' an
attraction of steam organs, steam locomotives and mighty Wurlitzer.
Its annual Christmas extravaganza a combination of carols dancing
trumpeters marchers and community singing has world wide appeal.
most buttress of the church south
aisle, where there is a small round circle with lines shooting out from a
central hole, this is a scratch dial. A metal or wooden peg known as a
gnomon (Greek indicator) used to be placed inside the hole. The shadow of
which was used when it touched one of the radiating lines to indicate to
the priest that it was time for Mass.
Home Other Norfolk Towns and Villages