The Village of South Creake in Norfolk
A visitors guide to the quiet inland
village of South Creake, located in North Norfolk seven miles northwest of
Fakenham and approximately six miles from the coast.
The River Burn flows through the village of South Creake and to reach
their homes the locals have to cross over small wooden bridges. The church
of St. Mary in South Creake is one of the finest village churches in East
Anglia. Dating from the 13th and 14th centuries, its beautiful hammer beam
roof is decorated with medieval carved angels.
In the village are public tennis courts, cycle hire, summer months sees
The Amazing Maize Maze, a children's play area and a welcoming inn, the
Ostrich Inn with a changing menu. For a full range of shops try the market
town of Fakenham some seven miles away inland. Heading towards
the coast is Burnham Thorpe a small village with Nelson connections, here
Nelson was born the sixth out of eleven children. He lived in the
Parsonage House which unfortunately was demolished whilst he was still
alive. Nelson fans tend to congregate in the Lord Nelson the only pub in
the village. Horatio returned to live in the village with his wife from
1787 until 1793 when he was given command of HMS Agamemnon.
Legend has it that a battle was fought on Bloodgate Hill and that it was
so fierce that blood flowed down the hill, hence the name.
Home Other Norfolk Towns and Villages