A visitors guide to Framlingham in Suffolk,
a quintessential old market town guarded by an ancient castle. Appealing
streets fan out from the market square, each stuffed with old buildings,
intriguing alleyways nooks and crannies.
A venerable church completes the picture of this very attractive place.
Here the past is clearly visible with architectural designs from different
periods including Tudor, Stuart, Regency and Victorian. The first
castle, was believed to have been made of wood, but the present castle
that you see today dates from around the 12th century. It saw warlike
activity only once and this was during the reign of King John in 1216.
From the outside the castle appears to be almost perfectly intact with
curtain walls and thirteen towers but inside much has unfortunately been
lost over the years.
However, it is still a fascinating place to look around and it is easy to
become enveloped in the atmosphere of the place when strolling on the
battlements. The castle is now managed by English Heritage and Suffolk
Wildlife Trust have a Nature Reserve near to the Castle. Tudor
came to Framlingham Castle after the death of her brother King
Edward VI. She spent the summer inside its walls waiting to hear
whether she or lady Jane Grey had been declared queen. Thousands of her
supporters camped outside the castle ready to declare her Queen of
The oldest building other than the church and castle is no 8 in Church
Street, which has timbers dating from about 1475. The town is called
'Fram' by the locals instead of by its full name. Framingham in
Massachusetts takes its name from the place.
This market town retains much of its old-world charm and atmosphere there
are a number of inns, quaint shops, places to eat and other facilities to
be found. The restaurant at the Crown Hotel exploits local resources and
endeavours to provide locally produced, seasonal ingredients.
Even the residential parts of the town is as pretty as a picture with pale
washed houses of all shapes, sizes and ages. The coast is
approximately twelve miles away with the seaside resorts of Sizewell and Thorpeness.
Home of one of the oldest bowls clubs in the country with records dating
back to 1553.
accessed from Fore Street is so
called as it used to be where the isolation building was located for those
in the town with infectious diseases were housed.
was given to the town in 1872 by
Sir Henry Thompson who was surgeon to Queen Victoria. It was in memory of
his father who had been a tallow-chandler in the town.
Victorian pillar boxes in Double Street and
also College road. Double Street was originally called bow street and used
to be the main shopping street.
Framlingham the centre of their vast
estate. Inside the church there are many fine tombs, including the tomb of
the 3rd Duke of Norfolk Thomas Howard the Kings treasurer.
duck pond near
to the castle is known as the
Ducking Pond. During the 17th century a large number of witch trials took
place in Framlingham and it was in this pond that the witches were ducked.